Monday, July 21, 2008

Who peed on your floor dude?

I want to share with you one of the greatest momentarily unsolved mysteries I’ve experienced, a phenomenon that surpassed my intellect and logical ability. How difficult is that you might ask yourselves, well, here’s what happened.

One morning a couple of months ago, my French roommate woke up to a quite surprising sight. Next to his bed in the middle of the floor there was a pool of brown/yellow liquid, perhaps a litre or so. Naturally he was baffled, and since there was no one else around, he turned his suspicion against me, asking if I had peed on his bedroom floor. He even told me that he had dreamed that he heard the sound of someone peeing. To the best of my knowledge, I was innocent, so we started brainstorming about possible explanations. A cat that snuck in. No. We couldn’t find a cat so we ruled that option out. A rat! Rats can get in through tiny openings, but neither my roommate nor I had ever heard about rats relieving themselves in people’s bedrooms. We did not entirely rule this theory out though. Given the volume of the pool, a hamster was also suggested.

The following days, this mysterious pool occupied my mind. The thought of rodents leaving liquid souvenirs in your flat is not a reassuring one. But as time passed we stopped talking about this incident, until it happened again. This time the pool was even bigger, and some of the liquid was also found on top of the bed. It was time to find the culprit and hold it responsible. So we grabbed our weapons of choice, a golf club each, climbed up on the bed in our morning robes, and started poking around. No creature was to be found. We noticed though that the liquid had splashed up against the closet. This would require someone peeing from a higher altitude than a rat would be capable of. The liquid was also odourless.

So, as we gazed upwards to find the source, we saw a brown stain alongside a beam in the roof. Water had been leaking through the wooden beam, attaining the urine-like colour, and then splashing down on the floor. Mystery solved, golf clubs back in the bag, silly feeling settling in.
,

1 comment:

Fry said...

haha! Great post!